The classic dessert favorite world-wide is with custard flavor inside and golden and buttery on the surface. You can choose whatever toppings you love – ice-cream, maple syrup, honey, chocolate sauce, strawberry or other sweet sauces. We love it most with Custard sauce.
In this recipe we use far less sugar and the result is still plenty sweet.
- Though the classic version is made with plain white bread, you can make this with any bread of choice – like raisin bread, hot cross buns, brioche, anything!
- Use slightly stale bread because it doesn’t soak through instantly and turn into mush.
- It is important to allow enough time for the egg mixture to soak the bread crumbs thoroughly. Otherwise the bread cubes will float on top leaving a layer of custard on the bottom when the dish is cooked.
- If using super fresh bread, after cutting into cubes, place in the oven at 180 C for 1 1/2 minutes, then remove and leave on tray for 5 minutes, then proceed with recipe.
- Raisins brown too much in this bake time. So while some on the surface is fine, you don’t want too many. Poke them in a bit!
- Brush half the melted butter on the top after baking for that extra nice and golden top crust!