This Creme is crazy easy and requires just ricotta, light sour cream, vanilla, eggs and sugar. Served in Creme Brûlée style but with much less calories. Just follow the 4 simple steps:
- Simmer sour cream and ricotta with vanilla, set aside to infuse for a while;
- Whisk egg yolks and add to cream and ricotta
- Pour into ramekins, fill dish with hot water, bake 35 – 40 minutes, cool then refrigerate
- Sprinkle with sugar then blast with blow torch or stick it under a stinking hot grill.
Let’s talk about that caramel topping for a sec. Don’t fret if you don’t have a blow torch! If you have a blow torch, it takes around 10 seconds to caramelize the surface evenly.
However, if you don’t have a blow torch, just melt the sugar under a stinking hot grill for 45 seconds – 1 minute. It works just fine, though follow the two tip:
- the creme should be refrigerated overnight to ensure it is really cold
- after the sugar is melted, pop it back in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, up to 1 hour. This is because the grill takes longer than a blow torch so the surface of the custard under the caramel will melt a little bit.