If a waste-free lunch program is implemented at school and supported at home, most children will participate with enthusiastic. It is always a good idea to use a Motivation Program to help kids understand you better. Clean environment and waste reduction are a daily task that everyone should approach in a responsible and disciplined manner. May this year everyone be the change he wants others to see!
10 steps to engage kids:
- First ask your child why he or she doesn’t want to participate. Validate the child’s feelings, and try to accommodate any requests that are reasonable and acceptable to you.
- Next, talk with your child about the importance of good health and caring for the environment.
- Ask your child to help plan a lunch menu program. If your children are old enough, and if they aren’t doing so already, find out if they’d like to help prepare their lunches.
- If your child is worried about being the only kid at school with a waste-free lunch, you may want to talk with other parents about joining you in your endeavor to reduce waste, or consider helping to implement a waste-free lunch program at the school.
- If reducing waste is a community effort, children will accept it and will likely become enthusiastic supporters.
- To use the Star Incentive Program, you’ll first need to purchase star (or other) stickers. Increase motivation by allowing your child to pick them out.
- At the beginning of each month, print off the blank Star Incentive calendar provided below.
- Reward your children with a sticker for each day that they agree to take a waste-free lunch to school.
- When they have accumulated a certain number of stickers, allow them to pick out a special treat, such as a trip to the movies or to a play, or arrange a play date with a friend who, because of distance, you would not normally make the effort to get together with.
- You can give the stickers to the children in the morning, when they return from school, or put them in their lunchbox as a lunchtime surprise.
Download a copy of Motivation sheet and use it with your family.